Assistant Professor of Economics
Office: Harkness 226
Phone: (585) 275-7307
Ph.D. Duke University, 2007.
Curriculum Vitae (PDF) last update June 2014
Research Interests: Economics of Education, Econometrics.
Published and Forthcoming Articles
- "Teacher Complementarities in Test Score Production: Evidence from Primary School", forthcoming in Journal of Labor Economics
- "The Specificity of General Human Capital: Evidence from College Major Choice" with Ronni Pavan, forthcoming in Journal of Labor Economics
- "School Discipline: A Source or Salve for the Racial Achievement Gap," International Economic Review 54(1), 355-383 (February 2013)
- "Estimating Spillovers in the Classroom with Panel Data" with Peter Arcidiacono, Gigi Foster, and Natalie Goodpaster, Quantitative Economics 3(3), 421-470 (November 2012)
- "Beyond Levels and Growth: Estimating Teacher Value-Added and its Persistence," Journal of Human Resources 47 (3), 722-753 (Summer 2012)
(MATLAB Code for Accumulation Model)
- "Assessing Rothstein's Critique of Teacher Value-Added Models," Quantitative Economics 3(2), 333-362 (July 2012)
- "Family Income and Higher Education Choices: The Importance of Accounting for College Quality" with Ronni Pavan, Journal of Human Capital, Volume 5, No. 4, (Winter, 2011), 453-477
- "Understanding the Black-White School Discipline Gap", Economics of Education Review, 30 (6), 1370-1383 (December, 2011)
- "Productivity Spillovers in Team Production: Evidence from Professional Basketball," with Peter Arcidiacono and Joe Price. Revision requested at Journal of Labor Economics.
- "Distorted Beliefs and Parental Investment in Children," with Ronni Pavan and Richard DiSalvo.
- "Dynamic Continuous Choice Models," with Peter Arcidiacono and Bob Miller.
Works in Progress
- "Heterogeneity in the Return to Skill and Firm-Worker Matches" with Peter Arcidiacono, and Rafael Dix-Carneiro
- "Substance Abuse and the Production of Cognitive Skill" with Ronni Pavan